Chicken Citrus Piccata
A simple meal for any day of the week yet elegant enough to serve when entertaining. We've gone back to the basics for this delicious version of Chicken Citrus Piccata.
- Gather a large oven proof platter and piece of foil for tenting chicken. Pre-heat oven to 180°, with rack in the middle position.
- Season flour with salt and pepper for dredging chicken on a plate or shallow pan and set aside.
- Cut 1 lemon in half - trimming ends off - then slice 1/2 into thin half moons. Juice the remaining 1 1/2 lemons - this will be used for the sauce at the end of cooking the cutlets.
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally - resulting in thinner breasts. Place them in an unsealed zip-lock bag and pound them to an even 1/4 inch thickness using a meat pounder.
- Pat the cutlets dry with paper towels and then dredge each one in the flour mixture - shacking off the excess. Transfer to a single layer to a large platter.
Preheat a large skillet to a medium high heat then add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil.
Without crowding, add 3-4 of the dredged chicken cutlets and let cook until nicely golden - about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side the same which should only require about 2 minutes. Remember they are only 1/4 inch thick. Remove and place on the oven proof platter and tent with foil and place in the warm oven. Repeat this process with the other cutlets - adding remaining olive oil prior to starting. Add chicken to oven dish when complete.
- When the cutlets are finished - saute the minced shallot in the same skillet until it is fragrant - about 45 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken broth and half moon lemon slices and simmer - scraping any bits from the pan (fond) and reducing the liquid to about 1/3 cup.
- Stir in the rinsed capers and lemon juice and reduce again. Remove from heat and add butter a few pieces at a time.
- Add the parsley, stir and pour the sauce over the warming platter of cutlets - or plate each serving with cutlet and sauce and serve with a side of pasta drizzled with olive oil and balsamic.