Colcannon Mashed with Kale
Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish made of creamy mashed potatoes and kale. These are the most flavorful mashed potatoes green onions and kale cooked in butter olive oil and cream. Don't be shy with the salt and pepper. Mashed potatoes always need it.
- medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/4 c. Redstone Butter Olive Oil
- 4 green onions, white parts thinly sliced, greens sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large bunch kale, stemmed and sliced into 1/2" ribbons (or one bag of baby kale is easy to work with)
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until totally soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
- Add Redstone Butter Olive Oil, green onions and garlic, into a large pot and cook until beginning to soften and smell fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add shredded kale, milk, and cream. Let cook 4 minutes, mixing often until milk comes to a simmer and kale wilts.
- Use a potato masher to mash kale mixture into potatoes until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and more cracked pepper on top.