Cherry Balsamic Pie
CHERRY BALSAMIC PIE
Cherry Balsamic Pie is a fun and spooky way to serve up a Halloween desert. This sweet and syrupy cherry balsamic pie will tantalize your taste buds!
- 2 lbs pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 3 tbls Redstone Black Cherry Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/3 C cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbls milk
- Sanding sugar for sprinkling on crust (optional)
- 2 pie crust doughs, homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 400°F/204°C.
- In a bowl combine cherries, sugar, vinegar and cornstarch and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Prepare homemade pie dough or remove store bought from refrigerator and unwrap. You want a 12-inch circle. Carefully place one dough into a 9x2 inch pie dish.
- Gently press dough into place with your fingers.
- Pour the filling into the crust, including the juices.
- Place the second pie dough onto a well floured surface, preferable a silicone pastry mat. Place a template of your choice, in the center of the dough.
- Using the tip of a knife, trace the face onto the dough. Remove the paper template and use your knife to cut out the eyes and nose. Cut out the slits for the eye brows and mouth.
- Gently flip the pie crust over and gently place it over the pie filling, making sure the face is resting in the center of the pie. Slowly peel the silicone mat off.
- Using a small pairing knife, trim off any excess pie dough overhanging the pie dish. Press the edges of the two pie crusts together to seal.
- Fold the ends of the pie crust underneath itself to create a thick edging. To create the scalloped edge xxx.
- Use the tip of a sharp pairing knife to separate the slits more and accentuate the mouth and eye brows.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and milk to create the egg wash.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle the top with sanding sugar, if using.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- With the pie untouched and still in the oven, turn the temperature down to 375°F/190°C and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.
- If pie crust is browning too quickly, cover with pie crust shield or make one with foil.